Sunday, March 26, 2017

Wake Electric Annual Shareholder Meeting 2017

Electric Smart Cabrio parked in front of Performing Arts Center at Louisburg College
Plug-in NC sent out another call to ambassadors to showcase their cars and talk to the public. This was for the Wake Electric power co-op's annual shareholder meeting in Louisburg, North Carolina. The meeting is held at the town's college, and the closest charging station was 15-miles away at the Wake Electric office in Youngsville. Sketchy territory for a little city car, even more so for an electric one. But what convertible doesn't love a drive in the country? I took a test drive on a low 50F-degree day and stopped at the College and the Youngsville Office to make sure that I wouldn't run out of charge. Turns out I could make it all the way home and still have more than 10% left. However, I forgot that is the Month of Amanda. I cannot miss her birthday party, but it's 55-miles away in Fuquay-Varina. I think we can do it. I left the house and drove straight to the Wake Electric office in Youngsville and plugged in. I watched Disney's The Brave Little Toaster, the most awesome movie ever,  on the infotainment system of my car while I charged. I got to chat with the COO of Wake Electric, who was very excited that I was coming to the event with my car.

Photo of Disney's The Brave Little Toaster on the Infotainment system of the Smart Electric Cabrio.After I got a full charge, I drove the back roads to Louisburg College. Once I got staged, they let me plug into a standard outlet for an hour before the guests arrived. This put me around 80-81%, more than enough to get me to Amanda's home in Fuquay. I had a great time talking with the Co-Op's members, who were all curious about the little convertible. Many expressed a common concern - safety in a crash, but most agreed it would be a really cool second or third car. It was compared to an MG and a Karman Ghia by patrons. One patron in particular brought up some valid criticisms about the electric movement: the weak infrastructure, both in available plugs and the Grid's ability to handle the load. We had a thoughtful discussion about the overall state of the electrical system in the US, and he complimented me on my passion, experience, and theories for solving our energy needs.

Photo of Smart Electric plugged into J-LONG extension cord, plugged into AV TurboCord Dual, plugged into contractor grade 25ft extension cord, plugged into exterior outlet.At 6p, I packed up and departed to Fuquay. I took US401 the entire way, it was shorter but had more stop lights (opportunities for regenerative braking). The weather was once again perfect for a convertible, 72F and clear. It did drop to 66F by the time I got to Fuquay, so I put the roof rails in and put up the top for my journey home. Amanda's husband opened the garage door for me and plugged up my special extension cord, which is bright yellow, to replenish my battery which was down to 16% state of charge. Three hours, and a lot of laughter later, I had 41% state of charge (I only need 25% to get home).

Amanda wanted a test ride in my "little toy car," and it ended with "Can I get one in pink?"